M.S. Social and Cultural Anthropology
Interculturalism, Migration, and Minorities Research Center
KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium 2018
Indicative percentage: 80,82% Magna Cum Laude
Master’s Thesis: Brokenness Made Beautiful: Evangelical Transformations
B.A. International Studies: Africa & The Middle East, Arts and Culture
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 2009
Summa Cum Laude
GPA: 3.95 (Scale 4.0)
Undergraduate Thesis: Outward Expressions of Identity among Urban Senegalese Women
|• Texas A&M University Scholar: Scholarship and honors ambassador position awarded to the most innovative and motivated students in a graduating class.||04/06-05/09|
|• Texas A&M Dean’s Honor Roll: Awarded to students who achieve a GPA of 3.75 or higher each semester.||12/05-05/09|
|• Texas A&M President’s Endowed Scholar: Four-year academic scholarship awarded for academic achievement, leadership, and community service.||08/05-05/09|
|• Aggie International Service Grant: Grant awarded by the Academy for Future International Leaders for humanitarian service abroad and on-campus promotion of social justice and international awareness.||05/08-09/08|
|• 3rd Place in the Raymond Ideas Challenge: Awarded by Mays Business School to students who envision and present an exceptionally creative idea or product innovation.||05/06|
|· College Board Hispanic National Scholar: Awarded for outstanding academic performance by students of Hispanic origin, nationwide.||05/05|
Publications and Conferences
|Candelaria, Tahni. Anthropology at “Home”: Implications and Limitations. Doing Ethnography and Beyond: Graduate Colloquium in Anthropology. April 13, 2016. Leuven, Belgium.
Candelaria, Tahni. Taking on the Land of Teranga: Women’s Identity in Senegalese Society. Explorations: The Texas A&M Undergraduate Research Journal, 1: 1-5, Fall 2009. Article can be read online here.
- Empirical Religion
- Anthropology of Religion (Evangelicalism)
- Anthropology of the Body
Qualitative Research Experience
· 12-month immersion in an international Evangelical Protestant church in Brussels.
· Carried out ethnographic research via participant observation, semi-structured interviews, and group interviews.
· Using qualitative data analysis software (Nvivo), I organized and coded all my data in order to structure and complete my data analysis.
· Combined the knowledge gained from my analysis with existing anthropological and sociological theory to produce new insights into the study of religion, urbanity, and social action and agency.
· Attended Senegalese social events, religious ceremonies, dance and drum courses, and music events as participant observation.
· Combined my study of Senegalese female literature with my participant observation to produce a thesis on urban female identity expression under the mentorship of my advisor.
|· Conducted structured interviews and group interviews with young Turkish adults aged 18-30.
· Transcribed daily interviews and submitted my work to an English language institute in Istanbul in order to contribute to a greater understanding of their clients’ needs.
· Conceptualized and launched a wedding and portrait photography studio as a sole proprietor that gained international recognition and clients during my second year in business.
· Successfully navigated client relationships and customer service as well as managed and communicated with dozens of people while photographing and helping people to feel comfortable.
· Had my work featured online as well as in print magazines and books.
· Photographed 30+ weddings and 50+ portrait sessions a year for the years I was located in Brooklyn in both English and French with clients from very diverse corners of the world.
· Maintained a photography website and blog, social media strategy and managed all administrative tasks of the business.
· Bi-weekly visits to different hotels in Brussels in order to gather information about events being hosted.
· Successfully delivered information meeting daily deadlines to my supervisor.
· Managed my schedule and my tasks, making decisions on my own while in the field.
Leadership and Community Service
|Graduate Colloquium in Anthropology Organizer
· Along with my co-organizer, I planned from start to finish a graduate research seminar for anthropology masters students.
· Facilitated communication with seminar volunteers and led all colloquium-planning meetings. Worked with university staff to make budget and scheduling decisions.
· Came up with the colloquium concept (Applied Anthropology) and completed the brand and graphic design for the event. Coordinated event publicity with volunteers.
· Ran the event from set-up to clean-up and moderated a panel of speakers on the subject of fieldwork relationships.
|Anthropology Masters Student Representative
· Attended monthly committee meetings with other student representatives and faculty.
· Enhanced communication between students and faculty, as well as provided feedback and concerns in order to improve the Anthropology Masters Program at KU Leuven.
· Created an initiative to connect students from different phases of the program.
|TEAK Fellowship Volunteer
· Volunteer assisting New York high school students in various activities to prepare them for college and the workforce.
|New York Couchsurfing Ambassador
· Volunteer to host people from different countries, assisting and introducing them to New York City and American culture.
· Volunteered at winter homeless shelters to provide meals, assistance, and friendship.
|Honors Program Ambassador
· Assisted the honors department in planning and execution of activities and programs for current and prospective students.
|Bryan High School ESL tutor
· Tutored ESL high school students in English, Science, Math, and Social Studies.
|Global Justice Student Organization
· Student-led organization advocating and raising awareness about global human rights issues.
|International Student Association Mentor
· Student organization serving and supporting Texas A&M international students by helping to meet needs and provide friendship.
- English Native Speaker & Proofreader
- Intermediate knowledge of French
- Intermediate knowledge of Ancient Greek
- Basic knowledge of Spanish
- Basic knowledge of Italian
- Qualitative Research/Ethnography
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Photoshop
- Public Speaking
- Event Planning