M.S. Social and Cultural Anthropology
Interculturalism, Migration, and Minorities Research Center
KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium 09/15-Present
Indicative percentage: 80,82%
B.A. International Studies: Africa & The Middle East, Arts and Culture
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 05/09
Summa Cum Laude
GPA: 3.95 (Scale 4.0)
Undergraduate Thesis: Outward Expressions of Identity among Urban Senegalese Women
|• Texas A&M University Scholar: Scholarship and honors ambassador position awarded to the most innovative and motivated students in a graduating class.||04/06-05/09|
|• Texas A&M Dean’s Honor Roll: Awarded to students who achieve a GPA of 3.75 or higher each semester.||12/05-05/09|
|• Texas A&M President’s Endowed Scholar: Four-year academic scholarship awarded for academic achievement, leadership, and community service.||08/05-05/09|
|• Aggie International Service Grant: Grant awarded by the Academy for Future International Leaders for humanitarian service abroad and on-campus promotion of social justice and international awareness.||05/08-09/08|
|• 3rd Place in the Raymond Ideas Challenge: Awarded by Mays Business School to students who envision and present an exceptionally creative idea or product innovation.||05/06|
|· College Board Hispanic National Scholar: Awarded for outstanding academic performance by students of Hispanic origin, nationwide.||05/05|
Publications and Conferences
|Candelaria, Tahni. Anthropology at “Home”: Implications and Limitations. Doing Ethnography and Beyond: Graduate Colloquium in Anthropology. April 13, 2016. Leuven, Belgium.
Candelaria, Tahni. Taking on the Land of Teranga: Women’s Identity in Senegalese Society. Explorations: The Texas A&M Undergraduate Research Journal, 1: 1-5, Fall 2009. Article can be read online here.
- Empirical Religion
- Anthropology of Religion (Evangelicalism)
- Anthropology of the Body
International Research and Volunteer Experience
· Ongoing research in an Evangelical Protestant church in Brussels.
· Year-long research will result in a Masters thesis in Social and Cultural Anthropology.
· Completed research on female identity expression.
· Studied West African dance, drum, literature, film, and language.
· Volunteered, teaching French and art to disadvantaged children.
|Inner Mongolia Province, China
· Taught conversational English to engineering students at Gong Da University.
|· Completed ethnographic research among adults age 18-30 living in Istanbul for an English language company.|
|Joyeuse Photography Brooklyn, NY
· Wedding and portrait photography business owner and operator.
· Photographed clients across the U.S. and abroad while immersed in different cultures, practices, and languages.
Leadership and Community Service
|Graduate Colloquium in Anthropology Organizer
· Involved in the planning and production of a research seminar that will take place in April 2017.
· Facilitate communication and lead all colloquium-planning meetings.
· Graphic design and publicity for the event.
|Anthropology Masters Student Representative
· Attend monthly committee meetings with other student representatives and faculty.
· Enhance communication between students and faculty, as well as providing feedback and concerns in order to improve the Anthropology Masters Program at KU Leuven.
· Participate in the creation of initiatives and implementing the ideas of students and staff.
|TEAK Fellowship Volunteer
· Volunteer assisting New York high school students in various activities to prepare them for college and the workforce.
|New York Couchsurfing Ambassador
· Volunteer to host people from different countries, assisting and introducing them to New York City and American culture.
· Volunteered at winter homeless shelters to provide meals, assistance, and friendship.
|Honors Program Ambassador
· Assisted the honors department in planning and execution of activities and programs for current and prospective students.
|Bryan High School ESL tutor
· Tutored ESL high school students in English, Science, Math, and Social Studies.
|Global Justice Student Organization
· Student-led organization advocating and raising awareness about global human rights issues.
|International Student Association Mentor
· Student organization serving and supporting Texas A&M international students by helping to meet needs and provide friendship.
- English Native Speaker & Proofreader
- Intermediate knowledge of French
- Intermediate knowledge of Ancient Greek
- Basic knowledge of Spanish