From June – August of 2018, I worked within Strategy on a number of projects to provide cultural insight and a unique perspective grounded in qualitative research and anthropological theory.
Objective: Before the agency planned to pitch to a potential client operating in the wellness space, I was asked to help the strategists understand the changing nature of relaxation globally and the cultural dynamics that manifest around spa practices.
My work and impact:
I prepared a number of insights in a deck that would be incorporated into the brand strategy pitch deck. My contribution, in addition to the work completed by the strategic planner, resulted in Team One winning the business of the client (via their investors).
- An overview of anthropological theory and research on embodiment, the senses and thermal practices in North America, Europe, and South America to advise the client on the power of appealing to bodily sensation in both visual and verbal communications. Additionally, this helped provide cultural context in the expansion of the product into different markets.
- A brief semiotic analysis of hot tubbing practices to demonstrate the current cultural visual cues and messaging around hot tub relaxation, in order to suggest newly emergent visuals and trends that will challenge convention and appeal to the brand audience.
- A rapid digital ethnography on Instagram, exploring the imagery and captions associated with particular hashtags. I then analyzed the data to draw out 8 core meanings and uses of spa practices to guide branding language.
- Guided a team of summer interns to understand the human and cultural implications of the re-branding strategy they were preparing for an online travel company. Part of this process was to complete a semiotic analysis of cultural symbols surrounding tech and travel to suggest brand messaging and digital product redesign.
- Carried out an analysis of open-ended survey responses to make recommendations to a cancer treatment center about communicating a more patient-centric healthcare experience. I also incorporated existing anthropological theory to bring the perspective of being a cancer patient to life for the client.
- Leveraged contemporary cultural tensions to assist Lexus account strategists in creating a Super Bowl campaign.
- Completed a semiotic and cultural analysis of subscription services to help guide a client in the campaign strategy of their subscription service.